I suggest you ...

Is Write project alive?

No updates since May. Facebook frozen in March.

52 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
MJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, according to some company checkers like Datalog Write! is developed by Retro United LTD which is a shell company directed by the same guy (Remigijus Mikalauskas) that runs – with his partner – three dozen other shell companies from his flat in 18/2 Royston Mains Street, Edinburgh EH5 1LB: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34445201

The domain writeapp.co is hosted in France. There is only one document from 2015 about the finances of Retro United LTD: http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/company_report.php/SC490409/Prod223_1718_SC490409_20151130.pdf -- the only interesting information that I got was assets of 100 Pound and the company's director

• baris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cloud sometimes crashes as the app itself usually do. I had exchange messages with the devs back in June, they just suggested not to use inline dictionary and spellcheck (I use three languages.)

I love writeapp, I think it is better, simplier and more useful than other apps (I have tried many). But as I checked the presence on social media, it is obvious that they did not sell enough.

Hope this app will survive, but I am backing up my files every other day like paranoid:)

I wish we can have some feedback from the devs, to these poor loyal users.

@AX I have Ulysses for Mac but I need Win/macOS compatibility and I love Write's built-in sharing (Publish -> Write!). Being able to work seamlessly on my Mac and Windows computers is the best feature of them all. I think I need to try Scrivener but I'm a bit afraid of the complexity.

There was an update recently to 1.65.2 but there never was an explanation what it was about. I'm really fond of Write but so much of my work depends on their service now that I'm a bit afraid. Are Scrivener and Ulysses alternatives? I guess they are heavyweights that can't compare with the lightness and elegance of Write... But I fear I need to consider alternatives. Especially since its unclear what happens in case of an abrupt end to their service...

• Kons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got no reply when I contacted them on Facebook. In the past, the would have replied instantly. Just sent them an email asking whether the project is still active or whether we should export our notes elsewhere.

• aymeric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would happen if the server closes? Then DRM will not allow us to access the app anymore?

• MJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a message in the left top corner of the "Check for updates" pop-up I haven't noticed before: "Updates are coming"

• bryanhayes64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main site still appears to be up, but a while ago, I couldn't access this page as it was down.

I thought something was up when the updates dried up, and I even contacted the support, guess what - No Reply.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base